Sun Protection Policy
Numbers Nursery recognises the importance of keeping its children safe in the sun. Young children have sensitive skin that can be easily damaged by the sun’s UV rays. Sunburn in childhood can double the risk of skin cancer (Cancer Research).
- Parents/carers are asked to apply sun cream to their child before any outdoor playgroups commence, to provide sun cream of at least SPF 25 and to also provide their child with a hat.
- Parents/carers are asked to apply sun cream to the children at least 15 minutes before going outside and parents/carers ensure every area of exposed skin is covered. When outside, cream should be applied at least every hour or according to the instructions on the sun cream (the lower the factor the more often it will need to be applied).
- Children will be encouraged to play within any shaded areas.
- Regular drinks will be available for all of the children.
- On very hot days, outdoor playgroups may be moved to avoid sun exposure between the hottest hours of 11am and 3pm.
- Numbers Nursery will discuss sun protection with children to help them in becoming responsible for their own sun protection as they grow up.
We will work in partnership with parents/carers to ensure their children can enjoy the sun in safety.
This policy was adopted by staff on 16/02/16.