Policy on Play
Children of all ages need to play. Play is never a waste of time. Children learn best when they are having fun and taking part in activities they are interested in. Play is not about end results, scores, achievement, winning or being better than someone, it is about being free to:
- Explore and use senses
- Practice motor skills, large and fine
- Be creative
- Experience new things
- Act out
- Have fun
- Observe and copy
- Practice activities and situations
Play can help the child fit into the world physically, intellectually, emotionally and socially and grow to be a healthy and competent individual. Play is fundamental to a child’s development.
Numbers Nursery recognises the importance of outdoor play and how the outdoor environment is an excellent source of learning, providing rich and stimulating experiences.
- We aim to provide well-planned outdoor maths activities, resources and play opportunities for every child of pre-school age. And children will have a better understanding of their world, and develop healthy and active lifestyles.
- Children are given the chance to experience different types of weather and seasons by using the outdoor areas in all weathers.
- Staff use the outdoor area in a positive manner and see it as an integral part of a child’s learning environment.
- We will run the playgroups in most weather conditions unless it’s extreme. If the weather is extreme, we will announce the cancellation on our Numbers Nursery Facebook page.
This policy was adopted by staff on 16/02/16.